Data Center Backup and Disaster Recovery BDR Solution
- Hosts SaaS solution for a QMS and ERP product
- Has greater than 400 clients
- Employs a local development staff and environment
- They want better data retention of their client solution
- They want to have a backup and disaster recovery (BDR) solution for their data centers
- They want to backup local data for backup and disaster recovery solution
Client Technical Situation
- Client has a production data center that their clients access their SaaS solution through
- Client has a backup data center that has a disaster recovery environment for failover that is replicated from production data center
- Client has a local environment with multiple lab and production development servers
- 4 server instances at each data center and network location, along with multiple physical host servers
The customer is replicating all data from the production data center to the backup data center, however the data has not been backed up incrementally for time period snapshot data recovery.
The local environment had backup software, but no images for bare metal recovery and for disaster recovery.
Additionally, backups were full backups to an offsite host, containing terabytes of data. The backups were taking too long to complete and accurate data was not consistently backed up.
TR Technologies, Inc. is a vendor of several Backup and Disaster Recovery solutions. Our solutions vary depending on case. In this case, a unified solution that could be backed up to client specified locations without the use of a 3rd party storage location would be ideal.
The client wanted to be able to maintain their own storage repositories and BDR solution. This made a software solution coupled with additional storage solutions at each client location the logical choice.
Our software choice allowed for MS SQL server, Windows Server, AD, and Microsoft Exchange backups. It also allowed for granular snapshots of data backup which allowed for backup upon change and block level backups.
The software solution additionally performed compression and deduplication to allow for a smaller footprint. Each data center and site could have an image backup created, then have that data physically shipped and loaded as a backup replication to each site. The solution allows for full image recovery as well as P2V (physical to virtual) recovery, which aids in disaster recovery.
Software was installed at all locations with each server backed up as an agent. Each data center and network site was backed up to the other 2 data centers.
In total the repositories were as follows:
- Local site backed up to a local repository, then also replicated that local repository to the backup data center and replicated to the production data center as well.
- Production server backed up to a local repository, then also replicated that local repository to the local headquarters network and replicated to the production data center as well.
- Backup data center, as a precautionary measure, backed up to a local repository, then also replicated that local repository to the production data center and replicated to the production data center as well.
To keep costs down, physical servers with RAID controllers were used as the storage solution for repositories rather than using larger 16 and greater bay storage devices. SAS drives were used in place of SSD to further keep costs down
Price of Solution: $ 15593.50
Software: Dell AppAssure
Hardware: Dell T310 Server
12 x 4TB SAS 6Gb/s hard drives